Try A Healthy and Different Kind Of Sandwich
Want to Try this delectable beetroot and hummus sandwich? It’s so fresh, filling , healthy and can quickly become a lunch favorite.
Salad Sandwich With Beetroot Hummus A fresh salad sandwich is such a good way to get in all your required servings of vegetables at any time. This is a new type of sandwich idea for you to crunch and to try out!
- 2 slices rye bread
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- ½ medium tomato, sliced
- 1 small handful snow pea shoots
- ½ medium carrot, sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ cup (60g) beetroot hummus
- 1 small beetroot
- 200g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 tbsp water
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Wrap the beetroot in foil with a tablespoon of water (this helps the beetroot to steam). Place in a small roasting pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Test the beetroot with a skewer. It is cooked if a skewer pierces the flesh easily. Set aside to cool. The beetroot can be cooked the night before and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Peel the beetroot and roughly chop.
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, water and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until creamy. If necessary, a little more water may be needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Add the beetroot and pulse for a few seconds until just combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. The beetroot hummus can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To assemble the sandwich: place one slice of bread on a serving plate and spread over the beetroot hummus. Layer the cucumber, tomato, snow pea sprouts and carrot and top with the other slice of bread.